Saturday, September 13, 2008

Down The Rabbit Hole : Part IV - Whoa, Deja vu

One of the things that have become painfully clear after the Apple iPhone release, is the absolute state of cluelessness, if there is such a word, in which other handset manufactirers have been blissfully stuck for years. Instead of leveraging vast experience collected from millions of worldwide users into a series of killer models, every other company ran to copy Apple's innovation without even thinking twice. Read here, did they actually say, with pride?

I have a theory on why Nokia got so out of touch with the users and it goes like this. When I have studied history in school, I have learned about the feudal hierarchy in the middle ages. True, it was in a communist country, and now they say it was all lies, but I do remember one lesson, in which they told us that the feudal hierarchy was so strict that the lord could only command his own vassals but not their vassals. They called it "the vassal of my vassal is not my vassal" rule.

Whether this is historically true or not is beyond the point, however, this is exactly what I think has happened here. Operators have become the customers Nokia cares about and it provides the features operators want, without any regard to the real actual end users. We could call it, "the client of my client is not my client" rule. Operators, by the way, are notorious for pushing whatever brings them more money, without any regard for anyone's needs.

How is that for an explanation?
(Hint: use the comments :)

No comments: